Saturday, February 12, 2011

9TH NATIONAL BEEKEEPING CONVENTION & FARM VISITS

Last week, February 2-4, I spent 3 days at Southern Luzon State University (SLSU) in Lucban, Quezon for the 9th National Beekeeping Convention. I was personally invited to attend and learn about beekeeping by a friend from BAI (Bureau of Animal Industry). The weather was cold in the province of Quezon. The first time in my traveling experience that I haven't brought along a jacket. Luckily I had my shawl, as always a handy one :), a new year gift from Mara Pardo de Tavera, our president of OPTA. 
I have learned so much about beekeeping industry and will soon re-launch our beekeeping in our farm. I am now a member of BAPI (Beekeepers Association of the Philippines, Inc.) yehey!



My body felt the coldness of the weather, mountain's breeze, but my heart is over flowing with warmth ambiance and interaction with the people of the beekeeping industry. Most of them are also from Ilocos and Cordillera region. Some came from Visayas and others are all the way from Mindanao :) I had a great experience that I will surely treasure :)



During my stay at SLSU, I visited a nearby farm, the Costales Natures Farm, located in Majayjay, Laguna. It is some 15 minutes drive from SLSU. Had an organic breakfast with the owners, lovely couple Ronald & Josie Costales. Again, cold weather but with warm welcome and wonderful company.



Costales Nature Farm produces' organic vegetables, pork and free-range chickens.


After the breakfast at Costales Nature Farm, went back to the convention at SLSU, and at night, I slept at  the farm of Jonathan & Marilyn Polistico, located in Liliw, Laguna. Some 30 minutes drive from SLSU.


It was great to visit them and share our experiences in the free-range poultry concerns :)

Final farm visit at day 3 of the beekeeping convention, the "Pueblo Organic Farm" of D.A. Secretary Procy Alcala, located at Pagbilao, Quezon. Almost an hour drive from SLSU-Lucban. The attendees of the convention, (we are about 100 plus) enjoys the picture taking!



No comments: